"Zoo" means an establishment, whether stationary or mobile, where captive animals are kept for exhibition to the public and includes a circus and rescue center but does not include an establishment of a licensed dealer in captive animals.
Most of us would have visited zoos at one point of time or another, usually during our childhood - with parents or as part of our school programmes. Many people think of a zoo as a place for relaxation, entertainment, a place to have a fun. But over the decades, zoos have got transformed into centres for wildlife conservation and environmental education. All Zoos in West Bengal are controlled by the West Bengal Zoo Authority.
1. Adina Deer Park, Adina, Malda
2. Alipore Zoological Garden, Kolkata
3. Animal Rescue Centre, Surulia
4. Bardhaman Zoological Park, Bardhaman (formerly known as Ramnabagan Deer Park)
5. Bochamari Gharial Rescue Centre and Deer Park/ Rasik Beel
6. Garchumuk Deer Park, Garhchumuk, Howrah
7. Junglemahal Zoological Park, Jhargram (Formerly known as Jhargram Deer Park & Mini Zoo)
8. North Bengal Wild Animal Park, Siliguri
9. Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoological Park
10. South Khairbari Leopard Safari & Rehabilitation Centre, Coochbehar
11. Sundarban Wild Animals Park, Jharkhali (Jharkhali Satellite Zoo)
12. Harinalaya, Eco Park, New Town, Kolkata
1. Marble Palace Zoo